Hot!

We must commercialize our media industry to sustain our media companies


Last week end I took sometimes to walk around and enjoy the pleasure of meeting new friends. My first stop was at the newspaper kiosk which I normally visit every week end. Like many others, this kiosk is located at the road junction alongside a bus stage – a perfect location to get the attention of customers. Although he never attended any formal education, Mr Malingumu – the owner of this kiosk acts like a really business expert. By the look of how he gets things done, one could easily notice that, he practices almost all the basic of small business management.

I normally enjoy my presence at this kiosk as I can know what is covered in the news papers while chatting with Mr Malingumu. In most situations I could talk to him while pretending that I am trying to figure out which news paper to buy. By the time I make my decision I always find myself aware of news covered in all news papers of the day.

Unlike other weekends, I noticed some changes in the way Malingumu had displayed the news papers on the table at his kiosk. To the surprise of many, all the news papers were stapled. I could not go through all news papers as I used to do. I don’t know what happened to Mr Malingumu but let’s assume that he had just obtained another business degree from the street university.

As I was thinking of how am I going to get to the news something came to my mind. I definitely remember that I have a laptop; and my Vodacom line has unlimited internet connection. Why should I buy the news papers then while I can easily access them from the web? So I quickly visited the web and within few minutes I could tell what was covered by most news papers in Tanzania.

As I was about to shutdown my laptop and continue to enjoy the freedom and pleasure of the week end, I got a call. It was a call from my cousin informing me about an interesting business story covered in the wall street journal. What a coincidence? Perfect timing – I told myself. Because I was still connected on the internet, I decided to access the article online. Well, I could see the headline of the article but I could not access its contents as it required me to purchase or subscribe for the news paper.

Until that moment I had not realized the lessons I was going through. It was the lesson which made me to give a second though on how we run and perceive the media industry in Tanzania. Have we really recognized the commercial aspect of the media industry?

The way we perceive media in our society may be wrong. We obviously perceive media as charitable organization. We do not perceive media owners as investors or business people. We neither see media practitioners – the journalists as professionals. We are missing a consideration of what it takes to establish a media organization. Like any other investments, establishing a media company requires significant investment.

In print media for instance the whole chain – from production to the intended reader requires serious investment. Finance theories suggest that, investors always expect to earn returns from funds they have committed in their investments. Like   any other investments, media companies are expected to earn return to their investors. Practically this means that, there is need for media companies to be run commercially.

One of the most important commercial aspects is to improve the quality of goods or services offered and minimize costs in order to attain customer satisfaction. In the case of print media, they should make sure they deliver quality news at affordable price in order to meet satisfaction of their customers – readers of news papers.

In order to deliver quality news, media companies have to invest seriously in news production. Reporters – original story producers should be professional and experienced personnel. However, it appears that many regional reporters for media companies in Tanzania are either not motivated or lack required skills and competencies. Some media companies for instance pay their regional reporters per stories. More surprisingly, the amount paid to these reporters is not worth mentioning. With these kinds of unmotivated and unprofessional reporters, it may be difficult to get quality news.

Another commercial aspect which is perhaps overlooked by media companies is news display in their websites. In most news papers websites one can easily access all the news without any restriction. Moreover, analysis reveals that there is significant interchanging of news link among social media such us facebook, tweeter, and blogs. Free access to news on website and free sharing of news links among social media sites may cost original owners of information in terms of decline in sales of news papers.

If the status quo remains, media companies may find themselves in difficult situations due decline in revenues. A declined in news paper circulation (sales) may discourage adverts. This is because many organizations always want their adverts to appear in a media company with significant set of customers. A decline in both sales and advertisement revenues may make the media company fail to operate and probably go bankrupt.

May be Mr Malingumu has decided to commercialize what most of us used to perceive as community service. His immediate solution was to come up with a way which will prevent his customers from gaining free access of his services. Unlike the wall street journal Mr Malingumu locked the stories by using staple pins instead of the password or subscription fees.

Like Malingumu, media companies in Tanzania must find a way of protecting the stories they have invested in. They should work hard to make sure that they maximize investors’ returns through maximization of revenues from sales and advertisements.

0 comments:

Post a Comment